Miniature pumpkins, crunchy leaves, and retrieving jumpers from under the bed mean one thing. Autumn is here. For a lot of people, it’s their favourite season. But it is also a time when your mental and physical health can take a knock.
Darker mornings and evenings can cause low moods, trouble sleeping and a compromised immune system. If you’re excited about the cooler months but want to nurture your body holistically, you’re in luck. This article contains a wealth of tips for healthy living over autumn.
Eat Nurturing, Immune-Boosting Foods
The change of seasons can cause coughs, colds and sniffles. So, it’s crucial to know how to strengthen your immune system. A great place to start is eating immune-boosting foods. Take a look at our top picks:
- Autumn spices - Ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon are classic autumnal spices that are brilliant for your immune system. They’re powerful anti-inflammatories to soothe the body when it’s under attack for a quick recovery.
- Gut-enhancing probiotics - Probiotics are fermented foods abundant in good bacteria. They feed your gut microbiome and are a fantastic way to enhance your gut health and fight sickness.
- Seasonal veg - Carrots, onions and peas in a warm soup are a way to get anti-oxidants and protect your cells from illness.
Vitamin-rich fruit - Particular fruits, like oranges, kiwis, and grapefruit, are bursting with vitamin C. Vitamin C is crucial for your immune system as it encourages white blood cell production to defend against pathogens (harmful bacteria). That’s why we’ve included the sacred vitamin in our collagen supplement.
Nourish Your Skin
Cold winds, dry air or damp weather can trigger blemishes and flaky skin. During the transition, your skin needs extra hydration and nourishment from the inside out. Here are a few health tips for you and your skin:
- Get your beauty sleep - Overnight, skin cells go through a rejuvenation process, shedding old cells and replacing them with new, fresh ones. Although it’s tempting to stay up late, you must rest for healthy skin. Discover tips for a better night’s sleep.
- Take a collagen supplement - As you age, collagen breaks down, and winter viruses attack and harm collagen cells. A collagen supplement supports firm skin to tighten your derma barrier, locking in hydration for a luminous glow.
Always moisturise - Cold weather can sap your face of moisture, leaving it dry and deepening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Gently condition your skin with a suitable moisturiser for a radiant autumnal complexion.
Make Your Home a Cosy Space
You may not think your home plays a role in keeping healthy over autumn. But if your space is overly-stimulating, it stresses out the body, preventing it from feeling safe. When stressed, you release cortisol, which tightens blood vessels and impacts heart health. Cortisol also attacks and lowers your immune system, and you are likely to fall ill.
A restorative environment helps to de-stress your body, making you more resilient to sickness. Here are a few tips to create cosy autumn vibes:
Keep Your Space Tidy
When a room is messy and cluttered, the brain finds it difficult to focus. This creates overwhelm as your eyes jump from one thing to the next. 80% of your sensory input is through sight. So, if you are surrounded by empty dishes and stacks of disorganised paper, it impacts your stress levels.
Set a five-minute timer at the end of the day, sweep through your main rooms and spruce them up. Keeping curtains drawn back is a must, as sunlight kills bacteria, and open windows to let in fresh air.
Make a Snug Space to Relax
In a world surrounded by screens, it’s hard for the brain to switch off and detox from the day. So, invite cosy vibes by creating an intimate space to rejuvenate your body. Here are a few ideas:
- Snuggle up with a warm blanket - Blankets are comforting, and the weight can help the body feel safe.
- Read a seasonal book - Just six minutes of reading can reduce stress by 68%. So, it’s a great hobby for mental well-being over the dark months.
- Use soft lighting - Yellow, orange and golden-tone bulbs remind your brain of a crackling fire, which is associated with warmth and safety. Ensure you aren’t near any stimulating lights, such as bulbs with cool blue tones or harsh white lightning. These can put your body on high alert and prevent it from going into restorative mode.
Do Things That Make You Happy
Taking part in things that bring you joy releases the happy hormones serotonin and dopamine. These hormones keep your body healthy by improving sleep, libido, cell turnover, moods and digestion. You may need to make extra effort during dark months, so here are some good tips for health and happiness:
- Keep a gratitude journal - Writing and feeling things that make you grateful instantly stimulates dopamine and serotonin. Try noting down three things daily that you appreciate.
- See friends - When rain’s driving down on the window pane, you can become isolated. But humans need connection through socialisation. Have friends over for dinner or set regular nights to meet.
- Start a hobby - There are hundreds of hobbies, and you can have more than one. In fact, having a few hobbies on rotation helps you stay engaged. Reading, watching scary movies, or journaling are simple interests to enjoy.
Take a Collagen Supplement for Wellness
Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body, and you need it for almost everything. It gives tissue and fibres strength and suppleness, making it crucial for the best, healthy version of yourself over autumn.
- Glowing skin
- Enhanced hair growth
- Strong bones
- Healthy heart
- Good blood circulation
- Reduction in type 2 diabetes
- Flexible joints
- Improved sleep
- Better moods
Stay Healthy This Autumn With Arella Beauty
Don’t let the autumn months get you down. Use these wellness tips to nurture your body with soul-warming foods, gentle skincare, cosy spaces and joyful activities. Super-boost your autumn wellness with our liquid collagen supplement and snuggle up, feeling content on a beautiful autumn day.
- How to Boost Your Immune System in Autumn 2023
- 7 Incredible Benefits of Collagen Supplements
- The Beautiful Benefits of Collagen for Gut Health
Written by Arella Beauty.
Emma is a holistic beauty and wellness writer. She has three years of experience in the well-being industry and a Master’s degree in Creative Writing and Wellness. Check out her portfolio and follow her on Instagram.